Friday, September 5, 2014

HikiNo Behind the Scenes


For a project in my GT class, we got to chose between doing a profile story or a news story. My partners and I are doing a news story on a new biomass plant in Koloa. We are covering where it is, what its doing, and how everything works. The biomass plant uses alternative energy by using invasive trees that take over land and choke out native plats. Using these trees benefits the island in two ways: 
  1. They take away invasive plants that can harm other native plants, also the unwanted trees can fall on to the highway and cause unnecessary destruction and inconvenience.
  2. By taking away and using those invasive plants, they create energy for the island.
When the camera isn't rolling me and the rest of my team are working too find interviews, plan B-Roll, and tie up any loose ends that we encounter. Our minimum requirement for this project is three well done, transcribed, interviews. We also need great B-Roll to put in over the interviews to make them a bit more interesting. B-Roll that we use gives the story a more familiar feeling, as if the viewer has actually seen the biomass plant.

One thing I can do to help my team out is to plan interviews continually like I've been doing. Interviews in a news story is everything for us, they give us information, they make us more comfortable by being able to see a real person with their lives impacted by certain stories that interest the public. I email, plan, and set up interviews with important people that relate to our story. Then, we all go interview the subject and work together to make it perfect.



1 comment:

  1. Great job Maya! I'm very proud you and your team for your dedication and enthusiasm for getting a well rounded story. Best of Luck!!

    ReplyDelete